This position is responsible for:
- Airport inspections; issuing notices about airport conditions to regulatory entities, as well as to tenants and airport users
- Reviews work of on-site contractors to ensure no airport safety hazards are created
- Inspects work in progress to ensure it complies with contractual and funding source requirements
- Assigns tasks to the airport operations and maintenance staff, evaluating the performance of the assigned staff, and training and coaching staff to expand their areas of expertise
- Because of the nature of airport operations, this position is subject to emergency call out days, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Responsible, as assigned by the Airport Director, for researching and applying for grants to support airport functions, and for monitoring expenditures under grant funding to comply with funding source guidelines
- Coordinates plans review with Engineering staff to ensure that new airport construction meets the regulatory requirements and organizational goals
- Coordinates approved airport capital improvement projects and for keeping the Airport Director apprised of project completion deadlines and related issues
- Prepares budget recommendations for the area of responsibility
- Submits the budget to supervisor for review and inclusion in overall airport budget plan
- Oversees capital improvements in accordance with approved budget amounts
- Monitors other expenditures for compliance with budgetary requirements
- Performs technical and analytical work in the planning, analysis, design, programming, and implementation of airport computer systems and programs
- Works with a great deal of latitude and is evaluated by periodic meetings, reports, and results obtained
- Performs related duties as required
This class is distinguished from the Airport Administration Supervisor class by the absence of lease preparation requirements and the greater emphasis on grant-writing and grant-fund monitoring, along with the requirement to oversee maintenance requirements at the airport facilities. This position may cross-train in other areas of responsibility to provide greater customer service and improved response time.
This class is supervised by the Airport Director and is FLSA exempt-professional.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Aviation Management, Airport Management, or closely related field
- 2 - 3 years management experience in airport operations and capital improvement program oversight
- Must possess a valid Arizona driver's license by hire date
Substance Abuse Testing: Due to the safety and/or security sensitive nature of this classification, individuals shall be subject to pre-employment or pre-placement alcohol, drug and/or controlled substance testing as outlined in City policy and procedures.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications will be available as of the opening date of 4/14/17. Apply by date 4/27/17. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: www.mesaaz.gov/jobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.